Friday, March 31, 2006

 

The RUSH.........

I was talking to a Lance Armstrong, Tour de France wannabe the other day. He mentioned the thrill and rush of riding the 20 mph pace line with his other buddies. I didn't tell him, but I'm a little turned off by all that tight fitting lycra on men--okay, on the ladies it's sexy. Anyway, our conversation got me to thinking that maybe I've become a somewhat the adrenaline junky myself.

Imagine riding your fixed gear bike at 20 mph down Wentworth Street next to a Ford Explorer with a College of Charleston sticker and New Jersey plates. The female driver, who is talking on a cell phone, loses concentration and starts to drift to the right. You frantically tap on her window and utter a silent prayer that she won't run you into the parked cars on the right side of the street. Just when the adrenaline rush doesn't seem like it can get any better, some idiot in a parked VW opens his left side door and you hit the gap with a quarter inch to spare. Damn, that's exciting just to think about. I need to start wearing my helmet. I love bikes.

Comments:
Jim, is that what happened to you yesterday when you called me? You said you were going to call me later, but I never heard from you. You said something about calling after you got over the bridge or through the traffic. I was hoping you hadn't come to grief on your fixed gear. Now I'm not so sure after reading your blog. Ride safe.
 
no. Just getting old and forgot.

Oh, I did fall off bike and into traffic lane but not even a scratch. No kidding.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?