Thursday, May 18, 2006

 

A story from my friend Yvonne.........


Let me tell you the latest. After hearing a helluva strange commotion outside (1 squawking chicken and about 100 really noisy, cawing crows) at about 6:20 this morning, I stepped out on the back porch just in time to see a fox gnawing on Dink and trying to carry his seemingly lifeless body across the pasture. I yelled at the fox (who immediately dropped Dink) and I took off across the yard in a panic to rescue my little buddy. I just KNEW he was dead...he was on his side, no movement whatsoever. Of course, I was in tears as I knelt down and gently looked him over. No blood, no guts, just lots of feathers everywhere, so I figured the fox had broken Dink's neck. As I was petting him and crying over him, one beady little eye opened and looked up at me. I guess the poor guy was just in shock! I scooped him up and headed back to the house where I could look him over more closely. That's when I realized that I was barefoot....and I have those damned little sandspurs in my yard...and now there were a million little sandspur stickers in my feet. Ouch!!!! So, weren't we a sight this morning, the two of us sitting on the back porch steps - me pulling stickers out of my feet (and trying to figure out a way to discourage the fox from eating free range chicken) and Dink sitting next to me preening and smoothing his ruffled feathers! I've just gotta remember: 1) chickens are not pets; 2) There are no such things as "pets" on a farm; 3) It's all about the food chain.....

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?