Sunday, June 22, 2008

 

Great Falls to Helena, MT...2 days 98 miles


This section of the trip took two days; it's 28 miles from Great Falls to Cascade where we spent last night and 70 miles from there into Helena.
The ride to Cascade was mostly flat and follows a frontage road next to I-15 and both roads go up the Missouri River. I-15 is more like a busy secondary road than an interstate highway. We nearly had the frontage road to ourselves and rode for miles side by side. This is the first time on the trip that I have not been to the area; it would have been a shame to miss this part of Montana. Did you know the river here has 7,000 to 8,000 trout per mile? I cooked pasta for the group in Cascade...they ate every scrap.
In 70 miles from Cascade to Helena is rolling with a 3 mile climb at about mile 50. The river, rock formations, wild animals, people floating the river made time fly on this section of the ride. I've still got what we're calling the Company Crud but about a million cough drops a day keep it under control. I got 5 hours sleep last night.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?