Tuesday, June 10, 2008

 

Hotel update...



It's hard to get away from work. I promised Nike I'd stay in touch with my friends who work in the hotel business in Charleston. Here is copy of email I sent them:

Friends,
I hope all my friends, who work in the hotel business in Charleston, get to see this email.
As you know I’m traveling with 14 other people on a cross country bicycle trip from Seaside, Oregon to St. Augustine, Florida; 4,700 miles. Is this crazy or what? Most of my riding friends are from up north and sound funny but I’ll have them talking southern before we reach Mississippi; it might be safer this way.
I’m rooming with a Cancuk from Canada, every time I see the police I tell them he is with us but they haven’t sent him home yet.....this is a big joke with us.
We are staying in cheap motels...nothing like the places in downtown Charleston. These places maybe a little scary from the outside but so far they have clean sheets, soap and warm water; good things to have after a long ride. So far we have been going to bed early by 9:00 PM. Going to sleep is kind of like getting hit in the head with a hammer; one minute your awake and the next minute it’s 8 AM.
This first week we’ve been about 450 miles. Most of it in Oregon and Washington State and following the Columbia River East. This is the route Lewis and Clark followed a few hundred years ago; I think some of our motels were built then. The winds real blow in the Columbia River Gorge, 30 mph is common, and we were lucky because it was at our back. I could tell you how nice and cool the weather is here but someone might take a poke at me when I get home. The bad news......IT AIN’T FLAT. Its been awhile since I’ve had to climb a hill other than the 12 foot hill going up State Street from the Market. The Bike Taxi business has given me a chance to stay in good shape for riding.......hauling 500 plus pounds on a 12 foot climb is about as much work as climbing some of these hills out here.
I miss you guys and look foreward to seeing you...hopefully when it’s cooler
jim

Comments:
can you send me info about what the low cost motels are?thanks,missc123@webtv.net
 
Most of the thrid rate place are going for about $60 per night. Not bad for 2 or three people to share. all have clean sheets and hot water.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?