Saturday, September 26, 2009

 

September 2009 Running--I might have to shoot myself in the arm...

I have a new partner to help me train for marathons. Gar is great, he's always on time for our run and he can run any distance at whatever pace I ask him to run. So if I ask him to run 12 minute miles he just nails that pace and if--actually that should be 'when'-- he starts getting ahead I know it's time to kick it up a notch. The trouble is if he starts getting too far ahead I'll want to pull my piece and shot him--anyone who can maintain any pace for any distance should be shot-- but if this urge happens I'll be shooting myself in the left arm.

My other training partner, Scooter, is getting a little grey, can't see or hear too well and has to pee every 10 feet all of which I've gotten use to over the years we've been together. Then last year he got nipped by a Yellow Lab and how if he see one he either stops dead or if we are headed away from the home turns around and runs towards the house--trust me, you wouldn't believe the number of Yellow Labs out there. The stopping dead isn't a that big of deal but the turning around and running is a real pain in the ass. I end up running down the trail screaming at the little siht which is embarrassing and a real mood killer. So this week we got on the leach for the going out part of the run. Now all I have to do is remember the leach and get use to heavy breathing on my right ankle.

Aside from running after the dog and only having an electronic training partner things have been going great. Did 22 miles this week with a 6 mile long run. Still running either barefoot or in my Vibram Five Fingers. I looked at the calendar the other day and if I only add one mile per week to my long run I won't be ready for the 50K ultra in January so I might try adding a couple miles to it for a few weeks to see how it goes? My only injuries have been a few blisters and a stone bruise and I like to keep it that way. One day/week at a time.

Ran into an old guy downtown last week..it was obvious we were both a little stiff and sore. We got to talking about this and he says he'll ask people if they remember how they felt in high school the next day after the first basketball, baseball of football practice? Then he tells them this is how you feel EVERY morning when you get old. That just about nails it.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?