Saturday, October 31, 2009

 

Kiddy colds and hangovers...

After 10 weeks of running in minimalist shoes or barefoot I took a spin in an old pair of running shoes. It felt like I was running in high heels; on every stride that damn shoe heel would hit the ground before I could have a good forefoot placement. Don't know how this whole barefoot experiment will end up but I've purchased my last pair of high heel trainers.

This last week was a rest week where I backed down to 20 miles total for the week with a 7 mile long run. The timing turn out to be perfect since we all caught the kiddy cold which Jack and Baker picked up at morning daycare. Shame on me for being a little caviler about using my saline nose spray. Thankfully it's a fairly mild cold with a night time sore throat being the only discomfort.

Speaking of being sick, I woke up Friday morning with the swine flu. Well, it felt like the swine flu sounds. After a few minutes of laying there in misery I remember all that sake I drank the night before at the local sushi joint. I was so excited about not having the swine flu I forgot all about that hangover. I ended up having a great little 3 mile run and making it around to all the hotels, giving out cards for Bike Taxi. Everyone at the hotels loved my hangover cure.

Next week I'm going to try a run like I feel week. No preconceived notions of what I'm going to do on any day other than an off day on Friday. Just get up in the morning, when the spirit moves me, put on my running uniform and walk out the house and see what happens. I'll keep my Garmin GPS on but not look at it until I get back home. Just let Mother Nature make the calls.

Comments:
Yeah, the "the heel is getting in the way of my running!" moment is the end of sneakers in your life. I remember it well. You won't miss them.
 
How long have you been barefoot or minimalist?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?