Thursday, December 17, 2009

 

Plan B...

After back to back 30 plus mile weeks I've thrown in the towel. My left knee had enough. After reducing my mileage to 14 a week for three weeks the knee is not any better.

In the mean time I've dusted off my Yoga cheat sheets and recommissioned my rowboat. I'm back over 30 miles a week but about 20 miles are in the boat.

When running I could put my heart rate where ever I wanted by changing the effort. If I wanted a 70 to 80% effort--good for the heart-- my Garmin GPS allowed me to set these rates as training levels and would give me an alarm and depending on the alarm I would easy back or work harder--trust me, that alarm could be a really pain in the ass but you knew you were getting a good work out. The Garmin also works with the rowing and you can change fields to get different information for different sports, for example using mph when rowing and pace when running. The strange thing is it's been impossible to get over about 60% of maximum heart rate when rowing and I don't understand why it's this way? Any ideas?

Hopefully I can do enough running to get in 3-4 cardio work outs a week.

The Yoga really helps eliminate some of those little aches and pains. The big problem for me with Yoga is it just gets boring. I'm mixing it up these days by doing more shorter secessions, usually about 15-20 minutes every day. I'm also doing some standing stuff, warrior and balance poses, when I walk the dogs. AND.... there is always housework Yoga, helping a friend move Yoga and playing with the grandkids Yoga.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?